John Theiss brings the legal expertise of a partner at a large firm paired with the first-hand industry experience running an international construction business. He has been a client himself and understands the CEO’s perspective. He founded Truss Faber because he is passionate about providing smart, practical legal solutions to the construction and manufacturing industries.
John earned his B.A. in Economics and Mathematics from Middlebury College in Vermont in 1988 and his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago in 1992. Driven by his interest in the construction industry, he completed his Master’s in Construction Management from the University of Washington in Seattle in 1996. He is licensed to practice law in Illinois, Washington, and U.S. Court of Federal Claims. John is also the Co-Regional Director for the Seattle Region for Society of Construction Law North America.
“I love working for construction and manufacturing clients because it gives me the opportunity to contribute to large-scale projects and lasting end results. Every time I go through the Beacon Hill Tunnel in Seattle, I point it out to my kids because I am proud to have supported the team that built it. This work is important, and I feel privileged every day to partner with clients to build the future and help our society thrive and grow.”
TRUSS FABER PC, SEATTLE, WA| OCT 2019 - PRESENT
· Litigation, arbitration and pre-dispute representation serving construction, engineering, architecture, manufacturing and government contracting industries. Services include providing general business advice and commercial contract structuring and negotiation.
· Providing outside general counsel services for subsidiary of privately-held $1.5b civil construction firm and $500m public manufacturing firm. Working closely with executive leaders and board.
SAN JUAN CONSTRUCTION, INC., MONTROSE, CO | 2017 – 2019
President & Chief Executive Officer
· Leader of a company that performed civil, industrial, marine, airfield and building construction services to the U.S. DoD for remote military bases in Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Grew business through strategic joint venture partnerships and establishing offices in the Philippines.
PARTNER| DAVIS WRIGHT TREMAINE LLP, SEATTLE, WA | 2006 -2016
Equity Partner and Chair of Construction,
Design and Government Contracts Practice Groups
· Represented commercial owners, design professionals, construction firms and manufacturers.
· Served as outsourced general counsel for large corporations handling a wide variety of matters.
· Retained as directors and officers coverage counsel defending a large public company in federal court.
· Successfully defended claims in London Court of International Arbitration under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. Prevailed on all defenses entirely and secured award of all attorneys’ fees.
DORSEY & WHITNEY LLP, SEATTLE, WA | 2016-2017 & 2004-2006
· Senior member of Construction and Design Practice Group.
NAB CONSTRUCTION CORPORATION, COLLEGE POINT, NY | 1999-2004
Vice President of Administration and General Counsel
· Part of the executive leadership team for New York City heavy civil public works contractor.
QUALITY FOOD CENTERS, INC., BELLEVUE, WA | 1996-1998
· Sole attorney and member of the executive team, served through Fred Meyer and Kroger mergers.
M.S., CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT | UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, SEATTLE, WA | 1996
· Master’s Thesis: Developed mathematical model for estimating and pricing negotiated work.
J.D. | DEPAUL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW, CHICAGO, IL | 1992
· Graduated with Honors, Order of the Coif
B.A., ECONOMICS | MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE, MIDDLEBURY, VT | 1988
· Graduated Cum Laude: Major-Economics, Minor- Mathematics
· 1988 Bayard Russ Memorial Award - best two-sport athlete (football/baseball)
Truss Faber PC provides legal counsel to the construction and manufacturing industries and companies involved in government contracts. Truss Faber’s senior-level team has deep experience and a proven track record of prioritizing results and efficiency over red tape, delivering clever solutions to complex legal problems.